Thursday, October 18, 2007

ACHIEVERS TO FLY SA FLAG HIGH IN US

Man, oh man! This is absolutely fabulous! Well done to all the students and remember to raise the South African flag high and do it proudly.

Good luck to you all.


Achievers to fly SA flag high in US
Mogomotsi Mosimanyana
28 June 2007 at 11h00

Sixteen city students will leave for America after they were chosen to participate in the US Community College Initiative programme. The students were selected from among 40 applicants, interviewed by the US Embassy staff. They will be studying in various colleges across the US.
The students were congratulated by US Ambassador Eric Bost at his Waterkloof Ridge residence on Wednesday. Bost urged them to make sure that they excelled in their studies and experienced as much as they could. "Millions of people would love the opportunity that you all now have. You have to grab it with both hands and make the people proud who have shown confidence in you," said Bost.
Danny Korobela, 24, used to work as a taxi driver in Mamelodi while studying at the Tshwane North College. He said this was the best gift he had ever received. He vowed to redouble his efforts to make sure he proved why he was chosen. Korobela will be studying business management and administration at Kirkwood Community College in Iowa.

Lebogang Lehaha, 24, of Mamelodi said he was a proud example of the many rewards that education brought about. Lehaha received a 12 months' scholarship to study electrical engineering at Highline Community College in Washington. "I will try to settle down quickly when I get there because I only have 12 months to finish my course. I am a workaholic so I'll make everybody proud," he said.
Dinah Nyenye, 26, of Atteridgeville, said this was a dream come true as she would never have been able to afford to study in the US by herself. "I am over the moon about this scholarship. I'm glad that the selectors saw my ability and I will not disappoint them. "I cannot wait to leave even though I will miss my twin brother and the rest of my family," said Nyenye. She will also be studying business administration at the Kirkwood college.
A total of 80 students initially applied but the number was cut to the 40 who were interviewed at the embassy. The first group of students will leave for the US on Saturday. The second group will leave in mid-July. Most of the students chosen were from the Tshwane North College.

No comments: