Saturday, August 18, 2007

IFP MAN FAILS TO HAVE HIS CAKE AND EAT IT. . .

Oh man this is funny! It produces a video in my head and I can just see the hilarity of it. So called politicians getting all hot and bothered over this fresh cream cake that is starting to melt in the heat of the moment. . . . .

IFP man fails to have his cake and eat it...
November 09 2006 at 04:53AM
By Wendy Jasson Da Costa and Simon Steenhuis

Chaos erupted in the National Assembly as IFP chief whip Koos van der Merwe and Deputy Speaker Gwen Mahlangu-Nkabinde had a screaming match over a fresh cream cake with a huge candle in the centre. Van der Merwe sneaked the cake into the house to mark the first anniversary of President Thabo Mbeki's inviting him to make an appointment to see him.

Presidency staff have yet to arrange a time. Speaking during debate on the mini-budget, he said: "I think it's a scandal and I want to ask the honourable minister (in the presidency, Essop Pahad), 'Here's your cake, come and eat it! I've waited a year.' And Madam Speaker..."


An exchange between them ensued and ANC deputy chief whip Andries Nel, protesting at the "theatrics", said it was not parliamentary for the country's budget to be reduced to a "circus". Mahlangu-Nkabinde called for order and eventually asked Van der Merwe to leave.

"I'm not going to take this kind of behaviour from yourself. I asked you several times to sit down and I'm now asking you and your cake to leave this house."


This article was originally published on page 4 of Cape Times on November 09, 2006

No comments: