Friday, November 03, 2006

THE SOUTH AFRICAN FILM AND TELEVISION AWARDS (SAFTA)

Good Day All

This is an article that is being penned by my own fair hand, and therefore I do not have to mention anyone’s name or where and when it was first published etc. It is the first article (other than my Introduction) that has been written by myself, so I hope you enjoy the story as much as I enjoyed living it.

It was my privilege to attend the SAFTA ceremony on Saturday evening. Perhaps I should give you the full story from the beginning.

I went to school (many years ago - ok, not that many!) with a girl by the name of Kim Clayton-Millar. Kim works for the Star newspaper here in Johannesburg and since part of her job is to watch as many SA shows on TV as is humanly possible, she was one of the journalists that was invited to the show to write an article for the Star. I was invited to go with her as in this particular instance, partners & friends were also invited.

What an honour - what a first! My first "Red Carpet" event! The gala event was held at Gallagher Estates in Midrand and was full of the pomp and ceremony that goes with any of these events. The name of the statue - The Golden Horn!

Dressed in my "formals" and as hot as Hades (remember we are in the middle of a heat wave), it was up the red carpet we went together with the actors and actresses, famous here in South Africa for the parts that they play in our local Soapies, Drama's, Movies etc. Walking next to people from shows like my favourite Egoli, or Isidingo, or Generations to name but a few. Camera's flashing and huge video camera's being carried by many who were back-peddling at a rate in order to get the shots.

Once in the huge hall, everyone made a b-line for the bar and the food - row upon row of metal containers full of delicious finger foods. The sound was deafening as everyone gathered together to slap colleagues on the back for winning a nomination (remember it is an honour to be nominated -well that's what they always tell us), or to greet old friends that you haven’t seen for awhile.

In view of the fact that Kim has been working for the Star for at least 100 years (or near as damn it thereabouts), many people came up to chat to her and I was introduced to most of them. I’m not going to mention any names because for the life of me I would not be able to remember them all. Suddenly I heard my name being called and there was one of my clients (and a friend) Louise Barnes of Louise Barnes Communications and her husband Brett of Ear Candy fame. So even I knew someone who was there! Actually something that Brett had been working on had been nominated for an award – Well Done Brett!

Pretty soon we were called to enter, yet another huge hall where tables had been set with gold table clothes and gold serviettes – about 10 chairs to each table. Huge cameras on big mechanical arms that swept almost onto stage and back again as the went past the guests sitting at the various tables. At the rear of the hall were seating stands where people could sit and watch the show live.

We were ushered to a table right in front of the stage, but slightly to the right of centre. At this point realizing that the cameras would be capturing the faces of everyone at the tables, I quickly sms’d all my friends and told them to watch the awards that were being transmitted live!

Categories were announced, nominees named and accolades were won by many. Singers came onto the stage and sang sweet melodies, my favourite on the night being Simpiwe Dana ( I hope that I have spelt her name correctly) who sang two soulful jazz numbers. Her rich melodious voice washing wonderfully over all of us. For those who are jazz lovers, I recommend getting your hands on anything that is sung by her. What a voice and what a tiny lady, with a huge presence!

The highlight of my evening was meeting Macks Papo (again forgive my spelling if it is not correct) of Egoli fame. Egoli, our first South African soapie is welcomed into my home 5 nights a week. I have been watching it from the very beginning and still enjoy all the twists and turns that only a soapie can take. Sadly, Egoli wasn’t even nominated for anything and I was hugely disappointed at this.

I also had the privilege of meeting Leletti Kumalo ( oh these African names – trying my best though) of Sarafina fame who was wearing a most magnificent ball gown.

The awards continued well into the night and it was well after midnight when everything wrapped up and then it was time to attend the after party.

Tired but content I got home in the small hours of the morning. As I drove home in the cool (after a rainstorm) night air, I smiled in memory of a wonderful evening, of new friends I had met and in thankfulness to the Gods (whomever you may perceive them to be) of the wonderful world that we live in, of the beauty of the New South Africa, of the incredible talent that we have here and of the yet untapped opportunities that abound us.

I am truly grateful and proud to be a South African.

Regards
Nikki

No comments: