Monday, March 07, 2011

A Tribute to Geraldine Bunting

A Tribute to Geraldine Bunting

By Nikki Viljoen
It is with both terrible sadness and even bigger regret that I give you news of the passing of Geraldine Bunting on Sunday morning (6th March 2011), a little after 5am.

I first met Geraldine at an Inner Circle meeting in 2005 and if I must be completely honest, neither of us liked the other on sight. Sometimes that just happens like that. Several networking meetings later, we got together for a one-on-one chat, and it was then that we discovered that we had quite a lot in common, which is probably why we didn’t like each other to start off – both of us strong, opinionated, driven women.

One of the most amazing things that we found that we had in common was that we shared a birthday, actually – we didn’t just share a birthday, we were born on the same day, in the same year, only seven minutes apart. There were several differences though – Geraldine was born in the UK and I was born in the then Rhodesia, and although she lived in Rhodesia for much of her senior school life, we went to different schools (probably about 15kms apart) and never met one another. We both played a lot of sport – just different sports, shopped in the same area, went to the same night clubs, ate at the same restaurants and never met one another - how strange is that? She was left handed and I was right handed, we both enjoyed the same type of food, she drank wine and I drink whiskey, we both worked in and are passionate about our individual financial related businesses, although I have no clue about “Financial Advising” and she had no clue about “Internal Auditing”.

We loved the same music, that of the 60’s and 70’s – music made by people like Janis Joplin and Elvis – Geraldine was a huge Elvis fan and I am crazy about Janis. Old fashioned “Rock” music that transcends time and that is sung by Pink (whom we both love) and Crystal Bowersox (whom we both adore) and Adam Lambert (who I think she almost fell in love with) and the two of us could often be found, on a weekend, music blaring away – dancing round the lounge like a couple of teenagers, singing and laughing at the tops of our voices. . . . well I’m sure you get the picture. We both loved to read and although I usually have about 6 books on the go at the same time, Geraldine would read 1 book at a time, but she could read it in one sitting! Her favourite thing to do on a Sunday was to lie in the sun and read. We both love biographies and auto-biographies and who dunnits and often shared our books.

We discovered that we lived by the same code of ethics and principals and morals, although not the same belief systems – she was a lapsed Catholic and me, well I don’t do the religion thing at all. Geraldine would more often than not keep her own council and I am very outspoken. She was always very well groomed and me, well I am a jeans/shorts and t-shirt kind of girl. She kept at me, trying to get me ‘dressed up’ and I always resisted and dressed down – she hated my ‘clown’ pants and I love them! But we discovered that we really actually did like one another after all, and we looked out for each other. We always checked up on each other over weekends and would share a call or two (and sometimes even a few more) during the week. She met some of my crazy friends and met some of her rather sedate ones – but it worked for us, we were friends.

I got angry at her for allowing people to walk all over her and she, I think was a little envious of the fact that I really don’t give a damn – I think that there were times that she would have loved ‘not to give a damn’! The fact of the matter though is that she did care – she cared about her clients, her daughter, her brother, her sister and her friends. As difficult as she could be, she was a loyal and true friend – someone you could always count on – someone who made a difference.

Geraldine was diagnosed with cancer about 18 months or so ago and fought it bravely with chemo and radiation, but when she ended up in hospital for several weeks, in the burn unit because of being over radiated, she decided that feeling sick all the time from the meds was just too much and that she would not go through that again. In November last year she started feeling considerable pain in her back and several tests and doctor’s visits later confirmed that the cancer was back – this time in her liver.

Getting the meds right proved to be quite a challenge, but they managed to get her pain free for her last Christmas, where she went off to the coast and her beloved sea – to walk on the sand, lie in the sun and just be. I got constant updates of what she was doing and pictures of the view from the house that she had rented and of course how she was feeling.

In early January we were making plans on business ideas and how we would put them together and life seemed to be great until she phoned me one evening towards the end of January and her speech was slurred and I realized that once again the meds were out of kilter. Hospice arrived to help her manage her meds and her pain and it was all downhill from there.

Within days she couldn’t get out of a chair by herself, or walk by herself or do anything for that matter, by herself and this once proud woman who was so independent and full of life, was reduced to relying on her family, friends and others for even the most basic of her needs and eventually on Friday 25th February 2011 she was moved into the Hospice in Houghton. Friends rallied around her, some whom she hadn’t seen for a long time and some, like Tanya and Colleen and myself, who saw her more often, went every day to be with her. Sue, her oldest and dearest friend arrived from the Uk on Thursday to visit and pay her respects.

I can’t begin to tell you how difficult it was for me to sit and watch this once most vibrant woman, reduced to a shadow of her former self, lying in bed, sedated and drugged to the hilt, but still with a glimmer of her sense of humour, holding onto my hand like she was afraid to let go. Struggling with her constant pain must have terribly difficult and when I finally heard the news early yesterday morning that she was gone, my response was “Thank Goodness”.

Finally she is pain free and at peace. I will miss you my friend and will carry the memory of you in my heart always.

No comments: